This Clay Caterpillar Crayon Holder is easy to make.
clay- I used Crayola Air Dry Clay
googly eyes (optional)
spray coating- this seals/protects it
glue (if adding googly eyes)
- Roll clay into balls to make the caterpillar body
- String sturdy wire through each ball one at a time (see the clay instruction about make knife marks and rubbing water on it).
- Use the bottom of a crayon to make indentations in the middle of each ball (top side). Make each indentation slightly bigger. Use a pipe cleaner to make 2 tiny holes on top of the head ball. This will be where the antennas eventually go.
- Let it air dry.
- Have child paint it and let dry again.
- Spray with clear coating and let dry one more time.
- Glue on googly eyes and draw on facial features. Cut pipe cleaner antennas to desired length, place glue on one end, and insert into the 2 tiny holes on the head.
- Place crayons inside.
It works for colored pencils too!
This project was part of our The Very Hugry Caterpillar Theme- check it out for more caterpillar crafts!
Linking up to: