My preschooler is enjoying his Big Skills for Little Hands - I Know My Alphabet Book we received from Timberdoodle! It is mainly a fun review for him since he already knows his alphabet, but he is still having so much fun with each activity. There are also activities that are challenging for him such as cutting around a cute Letter Cartoon- hopefully by the end of the book he will be a "Professional Cutter" as he calls it... he, he! It has also been a great way to practice writing both his Upper and Lowercase Letters.
My 4 year old loved paging through the book when we 1st got it and was excitedly telling me all about what he was seeing. He has been obsessed with the alphabet from early on and has been able to identify his letters since age one yet still never tires of crafts and activities that incorporate letters! I have found the pages to be very kid-appealing and fun-looking with bright colors and cartoon-like illustrations. He loves the silly letter characters that are for cutting out.The pages are nice and thick, definitely a step up from the dollar store and Amazon ones we have used in the past!
A little about this book:
- It is for ages 3 and up. I would recommend it for ages 3-5.
- It is a great way to get kids ready for preschool and kindergarten- there is even a school readiness checklist guide towards the end that is divided into sections: Speech & Language, Social Development, Motor Skills, & more!
- The activities meet the national standards for both preschool and kindergarten.
- Helps build fine motor skills, improve hand-eye coordination, and learning how to follow directions.
- There are 5 activities for each letter such as cutting, writing, matching, drawing, and so on. The variation in activities from letter to letter helps keep it interesting.
- After every 4 letters, there are review activities that incorporate all 4 letters they just finished.
- When they have finished all 26 letters, there are Alphabet review pages that use all the letters.
- There are also lots of suggestions for Alphabet Extension Activities-we plan to do an ABC Scavenger Hunt!
- The last page is a write-and-wipe page for the kids to practice writing and drawing with dry-erase markers.
- After they have completed the book, there is a cute 'I Know My ABC's!' certificate for a parent to fill out and give to the child to proudly display.
Other things included in this book:
- Fine Motor Extension Activity Suggestions
- Lots of informative information for parents to read covering many topics-especially topics that include all the different things kids should know for kindergarten preparedness (general guidelines and skills they will actually be doing once in school.
- Suggested activities that incorporate experiences associated with emotions and the 5 senses.
"The biggest learning window happens by age 5, and your child's experiences during this window determines what he or she learns.. Although play sounds simple, it is your child's classroom!" [quote from the Big Skills for little hands I Know my Alphabet Book]
I would definitely recommend this book for ages 3-5 years old. I would especially recommend this book for those who are worried about their child being ready for kindergarten and what they can help their child work on, as well as a great book for those who are homeschooling their children!
Timberdoodle has an entire Big Skills for Little Hands Collection for ages 2-6: I Can Paste!, I Can Trace, I Can Cut, & more! They offer products that are great for working with your kids at home and keeping them busy and is a great place to find discounted homeschool curriculum from baby all the way through high school.
I am linking this post to these crafty link parties!